Business Technology Services will soon be upgrading campus computers to Microsoft Office 2013
The Roll Out:
Between August 4th and the 15th, BTS will be upgrading FGCU computers to Microsoft Office 2013 for Windows. PCs will be upgraded automatically during this time. All you will need to do is leave your computer on during this time period in order to receive the install. If your computer is off it will not be able to receive the new software.
*This upgrade will only take place for FGCU owned windows based computers
*BTS will not be upgrading the Apple computers Microsoft Office at this time*
What's New in Office 2013:
- Open PDF content in Word and easily reuse text, lists and tables
- A new “Read mode” that displays your documents in easy-to-read columns on the screen.
- Insert video and audio from online sources
- Collapse or expand parts of a document with just a tap or click.
- Put summaries in headings and leave it to readers to open the section and read the details if they want.
- Get a live preview as you resize and move photos and shapes in your document. The new alignment guides make it easy to line up charts, photos, and diagrams with your text.
- Resume reading, reopen a document and keep reading right where you left off. Word remembers where you were.
- Easily extract what you need from imported data with Flash Fill.
- Multiple monitor support
- The new Quick Analysis tool lets you convert your data into a chart or table in two steps or less.
- Preview your data with conditional formatting, spark lines, or charts, and make your choice stick in just one click.
- With Chart recommendations, Excel recommends the most suitable charts for your data.
- Get a quick peek to see how your data looks in the different charts, and then simply pick the one that shows the insights you want to present.
- New Inline Replies allow you to reply to email in one window
- Take a peek at your schedule, a specific appointment, or details about the person you’re emailing with, without moving screens or losing context
- Preview messages in the message list
- Flag, delete, or mark your messages read or unread with handy commands in the message list.
- Instead of opening with a blank presentation, Power Point 2013 gives you several ways to start your next presentation using a template, a theme, a recent presentation, a not-so-recent presentation, or a blank one.
- When presenting with a second screen, new Presenter View tools keep you in control and allow you to focus on and connect with your audience
- Presenter View no longer requires multiple monitors. Now you can rehearse in Presenter View without hooking up anything else.
- Use Slide Navigator to browse to other slides in the presentation.
BTS will offer the opportunity for users to bring in FGCU laptops that are off campus to be upgraded. Please call the Helpdesk at 1188 to schedule a time for the upgrade.
Office for Home Use:
BTS is working with Microsoft and will have Office 2013 for home use soon. We will inform all faculty and staff as soon as we have more information.
BTS will be updating their training catalogue to reflect the new Office upgrade. Please check our training page for the current offerings and revisit regularly for updates on Office 2013 training's.
If you have any questions or issues please call the help desk at 590-1188 or submit a work order at http://helpdesk.fgcu.edu